The Loss of Capt. Irvin E. Venell and 1st Lt. Harold W. Long – 350th Fighter Squadron – September 5, 1943.

Weather was problematic for all aircraft operation in Europe during World War II, but particularly in England because of the abundance of moist, cloud-laden, air that often reduced visibility to near zero. Things have not changed in England, but modern day pilots are now equipped with a raft of instrumentation and training to make flying in poor weather a routine occurrence – though this is not to suggest that it is no longer an impressive skill.

This was not true seventy years ago – good instrument flyers were a rarity and it was something that only came with experience. Most American pilots had been trained back home at bases located specifically to take advantage of the abundance of good weather and were given little in the way of instruction on flying solely on instruments. Fred Lefebre once told me they were taught only to use the needle and ball instrument and the airspeed indicator for flying in poor weather and not to rely on the artificial horizon. I am not a pilot myself, so there are many out there who could appreciate, better than I could, the full significance and meaning of this statement by a Squadron Commander. What it does illustrate is that instrument flying skills were rudimentary even with senior Group pilots. In those days of scant training, instrument flying ability often reduced as you went down the ranks and junior pilots commonly relied on their flight leader to guide them through the murky blankness. This state of affairs brought about simply by lack of knowledge and rushed wartime training could, and often did, lead to tragic losses.

One such day was September 5, 1943 when the 350th Squadron’s “B” flight set off on a training exercise to visit to the famous Battle of Britain airfield at Biggin Hill and learn how the RAF flew fighter operations. Twenty-nine enlisted men were to travel on ahead by truck, while seven pilots would fly their aircraft down to the RAF station. The weather at Metfield was good and so at 14.45 hrs the pilots took off and formed up into two flights as follows:

Capt. Stanley R. Pidduck  (a/c 42-8373)

1st Lt. Harold W. Long (a/c 42-8475 LH-X)

1st Lt. Wilford F. Hurst (42-7940 LH-M)

1st Lt. Melvin P. Dawson (a/c/ 42-22475 LH-N)

Capt. Irvin E. Venell (a/c 42-7956 LH-K)

2nd Lt. William J. Price (a/c 42-7989)

1st Lt. John L. Devane (a/c 42-8392)

The weather remained cooperative until the formation reached the Thames Estuary where cloud forced them down below 1,000ft. I should point out that altitude indicators were notoriously inaccurate at this time – a factor that further contributed to the uncertainty when pilots were flying on instruments. Capt. Pidduck made the decision to continue on to their destination and, when about two miles from reaching Biggin Hill, noticed some low clouds ahead:

Knowing the field was dead ahead, I let down under the clouds and flew at an altitude of about 2 or 300 feet above the ground level for a minute or two when I saw the field under my left wing. Immediately upon passing the field the clouds closed in completely. Knowing I could not stay below the clouds and find the field I decided to ascend to the clear area immediately above the low fog and return to Gravesend. I climbed to 3,000 ft found no clearing at all, so leveled [sic] out. During the start of the climb I noticed Lt Long, who was flying my wing, disappear in the fog.

Lt. Hurst was flying second element in Capt. Pidduck’s flight:

We came in sight of Biggin Hill and Capt Pidduck dipped his wings for echelon formation to the right. I started to cross over into echelon and Lt Long broke away and up into the cloud. Right at this time we ran into a solid cloud and I became separated from the entire flight. I was in cloud and started a gentle turn right and away from the formation. I broke out of the cloud and was able to see the field to my left. I turned toward the field riding in tree tops and just below the cloud. I came across the field and put my wheels down in level flight and made a flat approach to the south runway. As soon as I taxied to the line, the ground crew told me a ship had crashed just off the edge of the field.

The crash was Lt. Long flying LH-X (a/c 42-8475). Investigators believed he had gone onto instruments in the low cloud but had lost control of his aircraft.  When he attempted to bail out he was to low and his parachute failed to open.

The crash scene of LH-X (a/c 42-42-8475). Lt. Long bailed out too low and was killed.

The day, however, quickly became a double blow for the Squadron. The second flight, led by Capt.Venell, lost sight of the lead flight and attempted to catch up with a tight turn. As the flight approached Biggin Hill, Capt. Venell flying LH-K (a/c 42-7956) came in over the trees and banked sharp to port (perhaps making the ‘catch up’ turn) and in doing so caught his left wing tip on  a bungalow and crashed his Thunderbolt in Jail House Lane, Biggin Hill. Venell was killed instantly and flames quickly engulfed the aircraft and surrounding area – though luckily nobody on the ground was injured. The rest of the Venell’s flight continued on to find some clear air and landed at RAF Weathersfield where they were informed of the crash.

The crash site of LH-K (a/c 42-7956) in Jail Lane, Biggin Hill. Venell was not long married and Bill Price wrote to his widow giving an account of the tragic accident.

This accident illustrates that even senior flight commanders could be caught out by the changeable weather in England and that insufficient training could be deadly. The loss of two original and well-liked members hit the Squadron hard and some 50 years later Bill Price wrote a painful and honest account of the accident in his book Close Calls – Two Tours with the 353rd Fighter Group (p.34). In it he recounted how he and Devane had been flying either side of Venell with Price on the left and low position as they made the turn. He glanced over and saw a tree at the bottom of his left wing and so slid under Venell to put the flight in right echelon formation. Price, thinking the more senior members of the flight knew what they were doing, did not realize the extreme danger and call the alarm. Regrettably, the loss of Venell and Long would not be the last tragedy of this type suffered by the Group during its time in England.

Postscript September 14, 2012

At quick search of the internet reveals that Venell’s wife Edna Marie did find a way to rebuild her life after her sad loss – even if she never forgot her first husband. Marie Avers obituary is located HERE.



Filed under 350th Fighter Squadron

4 responses to “The Loss of Capt. Irvin E. Venell and 1st Lt. Harold W. Long – 350th Fighter Squadron – September 5, 1943.

  1. David McCloskey

    I can imagine the difficulty pilots had attempting to land in adverse weather. I’ve been a pilot for 23 years. There were NO experienced pilots. These men were right out of training and the experienced pilots only had a couple hundred hours of flight time. During this period in aviation, there was little to no ground based navigation aides and the instruments in the cockpits were inadequate for instrument flying. Basically, the pilots attempted to fly VFR (Visual Flight Rules) meaning they had to see the horizon to fly. Unfortunately, these combinations led to many accidents.

    • Thanks for the comment David and a point well made. I entirely agree and should underline that my use of “experience” in this case is entirely relative. Interestingly, the 353rd pilots were the first to admit this. There is a section on weather (p, 123-125) in Jonah’s Feet Are Dry where senior pilots such as Lefebre and Blickenstaff acknowledge their lack of skills to a man. I suppose the really brave thing was that they still did it when experiences such as those of September 5 made the potential cost of error very clear.
      One thing I did not mention in the blog was the use of Link Trainers at Metfield and Raydon. These mechanical boxes were supposed to represent an aircraft flying on instruments and from what I can gather the pilots did get the opportunity to spend regular sessions in them. I’ve no idea as to the effectiveness of this as training though – my suspicion is that they would not be very realistic…

      PS: I’ll post a picture of the Link Trainer in the main post as the comments don’t allow the posting of pictures

  2. David McCloskey

    Yes, I would suspect the trainers were very rudimentary. I started my flying in small, fixed winged aircraft. I can remember scaring the crap out of myself a few times. There is nothing more dangerous than a pilot with a little bit of experience and some confidence. When I read your blog, their Scud Running (flying under a LOW ceiling) scared the crap out of me. I can’t imagine being in a situation like that. 200-300 feet off the deck and at tree top levels attempting to find an airfield. Unfortunately, regulations and weather facilities were in their infancy at this period of time. Today, it would be illegal to even attempt a landing at a field where the weather was that bad unless there was an emergency. Unfortunately, almost all of the safety regulations we now have are written in blood.

    • Dan Murray

      Ervin Venell jr. was my uncle. I was 10 years old. He was going to come home and teach me to fly.This info was something I have been looking for THANK YOU

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s